SMPlayer intends to be a complete front-end for MPlayer, from basic
features like playing videos, DVDs, VCDs and Internet streams to more
advanced features like support for MPlayer filters and more. SMPlayer
uses the award-winning MPlayer as engine, so it’s able to play the most
known audio & video formats without any need of external codecs:
avi, mkv, ogm, mpeg, vob, 3gp, asf, mov, wmv, mp3, ogg… Special care
have been taken with subtitles. It supports srt, sub, ssa, embedded
subtitles in Matroska files, DVD subtitles… SMPlayer subtitles can be
very nice, you can choose font and size, and even colors for the
subtitles. One of the most interesting features of SMPlayer: it
remembers the settings of all files you play. So you start to watch a
movie but you have to leave… don’t worry, when you open that movie again
it will resume at the same point you left it, and with the same
settings: audio track, subtitles, volume…
Other additional interesting features:
- Configurable subtitles. You can choose font and size, and even colors for the subtitles.
- Audio track switching. You can choose the audio track you want to listen. Works with avi and mkv. And of course with DVDs.
- Seeking by mouse wheel. You can use your mouse wheel to go forward or backward in the video.
- Video equalizer, allows you to adjust the brightness, contrast, hue, saturation and gamma of the video image.
- Multiple speed playback. You can play at 2X, 4X... and even in slow motion.
- Filters. Several filters are available: deinterlace, postprocessing, denoise... and even a karaoke filter (voice removal).
- Audio and subtitles delay adjustment. Allows you to sync audio and subtitles.
- Advanced options, such as selecting a demuxer or video & audio codecs.
Changes in Version 0.8.1:
* Fix for Youtube playback.